We requested a moratium on the Herring Fishery
The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) has issued a draft plan for the commercial herring fishery in the Salish Sea. This plan has no regard for the potential consequences of that fishery to herring stocks in Howe Sound: in fact, it puts those stocks at risk.
Our request to the Minister was for a moratorium to be placed on the commercial Herring fishery in Georgia Strait until such time as stocks recover to healthy levels throughout the area, including Howe Sound. In our view, healthy levels should be interpreted having regard to past abundance of herring in Howe Sound.
Latest news and events
- 10-Jan: Letter to DFO requesting cessation of the Strait of George Herring Fishery
- 27-Nov: Annual General Meeting
- 14-Nov: 2021 Biodiversity Project/Species Census Report
- 06-Nov: Letter to DFO concerning the Herring Fishery Plans
- 28-Sep: A decision this Fall on non-motorized use of Mt. Gardner?
- 26-Jul: Camping at Cape Roger Curtis
- 24-Jul: Get involved with the Bowen Island Biodiversity Project!
- 01-Dec: Letter to DFO concerning the Herring Fishery