The Bowen Island Conservancy’s 2013 Annual General Meeting was held at 10:00 am on Saturday, November 23th, 2013, in the Multipurpose Room at Bowen Island Community School (1041 Mt. Gardner Road).
- View the slides presented during the formal business meeting, in PDF form.
- View the draft AGM minutes, in PDF form.
This year we continued our tradition of a guest presentation after the formal business meeting.
10:00 am: Formal business meeting
The formal portion of the meeting included:
- Approval of the AGM Agenda
- Approval of Minutes of the 2012 AGM
- Report from the Chair
- Consideration and adoption of the Financial Statements (required for filing the annual report to the government)
- Directors: election of new and returning directors
11:00 am: Coffee break
11:15 am: “Howe Sound: its natural wonders and environmental change”, presented by Bob Turner.
Howe Sound, our glacier-carved fiord, is a mosaic of the extraordinary. This talk pays homage to its island archipelago, its mountains and volcanoes, salmon rivers and estuaries, forests and marine ecosystems. It also looks at environmental recovery since the early 1990’s. The recent return of herring, dolphin, and whales signal new health to Howe Sound’s waters, and we need to celebrate our remarkable backyard.
About Bob Turner
Bob Turner, a scientist with the Geological Survey of Canada, and former Mayor of Bowen Island, has been exploring the Sound and surrounding mountains for 20 years. He was the lead organizer of the 1991 Howe Sound Environmental Science Workshop. He is also the author of Vancouver, City on the Edge, a popular book on the geology of the region, and Sea to Sky GeoTour, a guide to the geology and landscapes along Highway 99 from Vancouver to Whistler.
- 16-Nov: We’re grateful to the Knick Knack Nook for their donation
- 2022 Annual General Meeting
- 11-Oct: Our letter to Metro Vancouver concerning the new regional park
- 10-Jan: Letter to DFO requesting cessation of the Strait of George Herring Fishery
- 2021 Annual General Meeting
- 14-Nov: 2021 Biodiversity Project/Species Census Report
- 06-Nov: Letter to DFO concerning the Herring Fishery Plans
- 28-Sep: A decision this Fall on non-motorized use of Mt. Gardner?
- 26-Jul: Camping at Cape Roger Curtis
- 24-Jul: Get involved with the Bowen Island Biodiversity Project!