The first event in our 2017 Speaker Series was a presentation and tour of the Terminal Creek Salmon Hatchery, hosted by the Bowen Island Fish and Wildlife Club (BIFWC).
We met in the Bill Rush Memorial Classroom, and spent about an hour learning about BIFWC, the salmon enhancement work volunteers carry out, and the fantastic Chum spawner returns seen over the last few weeks (Bob Turner has made a beautiful video documenting this). Then there’ll be a tour of the hatchery and Terminal Creek’s nearby salmon habitat area.
We were hosted primarily by Tim Pardee and Mike von Zuben. Tim is President, and Mike a Director, of the BIFWC, a Non-Profit Society created in 1967. Both retired as executives in the corporate world many years ago—Mike from IBM Canada and Tim from the RBC Financial Group. BIFWC volunteers are responsible for managing salmon enhancement activities on Bowen Island, under the supervision of Fisheries & Oceans Canada. Mike’s focus is on the operation of the Terminal Creek Salmon Hatchery, while Tim coordinates habitat rehabilitation projects and manages BIFWC administration and partner relationships.
- 16-Nov: We’re grateful to the Knick Knack Nook for their donation
- 2022 Annual General Meeting
- 11-Oct: Our letter to Metro Vancouver concerning the new regional park
- 10-Jan: Letter to DFO requesting cessation of the Strait of George Herring Fishery
- 2021 Annual General Meeting
- 14-Nov: 2021 Biodiversity Project/Species Census Report
- 06-Nov: Letter to DFO concerning the Herring Fishery Plans
- 28-Sep: A decision this Fall on non-motorized use of Mt. Gardner?
- 26-Jul: Camping at Cape Roger Curtis
- 24-Jul: Get involved with the Bowen Island Biodiversity Project!